The VEGA and MV2300 series of Scanning Electron Microscopes are equipped with an inventive new four-lens electron optical column and employ a unique system of electron optics control based on a PC, providing the user with powerful and distinct advantages over conventional SEMs.
The column consists of:
- a high brightness tungsten electron gun
- an electrogmagnetic beam centering system below the anode
- a doublet condenser lens system with spray diaphragm
- an intermediate lens with its own electromagnetic centering system
- a low-aberration, conical objective lens with integral scan and stigmator coils
This arrangement allows great flexibility in the choice of different display and scan modes. Full computer control of the optical system allows very easy and fast switching from one working mode to another with stored preset working conditions. In combination with automated procedures for gun alignment, focusing, and astigmatism correction, they provide the user with extraordinary ease of use, speed, stability, and reproducibility. Unique electron optics and sophisticated computer control make the VEGA the ideal SEM, especially for multi-user labs which must accommodate users of all skill levels.